Friday, January 2, 2009

Confession #1: I think good marketing is really cool

What's G?
It's the emblem of a warrior
It's the swagger of an athlete
A champion, and a dynasty
It's gifted, golden, genuine AND glorious.
It is a lower case...god
It's the GOAT - aha!
The greatest of all time
What's G?
It is the heart, hustle and soul of the game.
That's G.

-Lil' Wayne


This commercial has had the interwebs buzzing for the past 24 hours, ever since it first aired during the Rose Bowl (as far as I can tell). I should have posted this yesterday when it first caught my attention, but it's still relevant enough to spend some time on. In one conversation with a friend, I defended the concept as pure marketing genius, while my friend said that the lack of product association defeats the purpose. Here's our conversation on the matter:

5:38 PM Friend: what the hell is this commercial for I have seen it 7 times and still dont know
me: gatorade
lol i spent 30 mins looking it up yesterday
5:39 PM Friend: well that is stupid if we cant figure out what it is about why have it
I told rob about it and I was like I have no clue what it is
me: i think it's brilliant marketing
cuz it get's people talking about it online
and u actually can figure it out
at the end of the commercial
there's a little s-vc, inc. at the bottom
5:40 PM s-vc owns gatorade
that's how i figured it out
Friend: gatorade is marketed towards athletes
they are not putting in that effort
me: haha it's not tho
Friend: nor are they gonna be bright enough to figure all that ish out
me: athletes use drinks that r better at replenishing electrolytes
and less sugary
5:41 PM heck pedialyte is better than gatorade for high-performance athletes
gatorade is using the athlete's cool factor to sell to the general public


Regardless of who is correct, people are talking about it, as evidenced here and here

No comments:

Post a Comment